Monday, May 24, 2010

Which is the best book to start learning data structures and algorithms? simple would be best for me!?

I am new to computer field. And I am currently learning C++.


I heard ,it is better to learn algorithms to do better in this field. I started with Introduction to Algorithms


by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, and Ronald L. Rivest.





I liked the book. But I found it difficult to understand. Can someone help me out with some simpler book for algorithms.

Which is the best book to start learning data structures and algorithms? simple would be best for me!?
Hi Devi,





Learning algorithms and learning a new programming language are two orthogonal items. But since you are learning both together it would be nice if you could get hold of a Data-structures book that implements algorithms in C++.





Cormen book is supposed to be one of the best books on the subject. Knuth's books on algorithms are also highly regarded. I have personally found Sahni's book "Data Structures, Algorithms and Applications in C++" to be good. I believe that this book is also available as an Indian edition.
Reply:Well programming is a ton of algorithms, but some algorithms in most books are the more advanced type. I always recommend beginners start with a good beginner "syntax" book, then a good "programming practices" book and last a good "learn to debug" book.





The beginner syntax book should be something like a "Sams teach yourself" series or my favorite the visual blueprint series.





The good programming practices/debugging book should be something like McConnells "Code Complete 2" which is the best book on coding practices/debugging I have ever seen.





Then lastly any real debugging book which has simple examples in your language of choice usually works. If you must have a book title, you could try "the science of debugging" by Coriolis publishing. It is an older book and pretty cheap these days, but has some great stories about debugging mishaps and how to prevent bugs.





I have included some titles that you will find the most useful, not only to learn but also as reference later.





Hope they come in handy. Enjoy!

garden state

No comments:

Post a Comment